Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Keep Dancing

"I get up. I walk. I fall down, meanwhile I keep dancing."--Rabbi Hillel

This is my favorite quote. These words resonate with me this evening and I find that I am so very present to the dancing that is going on in all of our lives at this time. These words, spoken decades ago, have for me expressed a simple but profound life lesson. I'm sure my brothers would defer to the humorous Utah adage "When life gives you lemons just make lemonade." They did just this last night by turning Judd's definitive hair-loss into an opportunity for matching mohawks. I predict a massive mohawk comeback in the Park City area due to the edgy yet dashing Hardy boys.
I arrived at the Eastwood's house this afternoon with Skip and Zach in tow. While I moved my essentials into the house the boys quickly moved down to the tv area. As I made my way up and down the stairs I observed a simple moment--all four of my brothers and my favorite cousin gathered together watching silly comedy in the family room. Nothing terribly amazing was happening but in that quiet, unassuming moment I felt the peace and companionship that radiated from all of them.
I personally know that this journey has had sad and scary moments but what I am moved by daily is the overwhelming amount of loving and joyful moments experienced. For every not-so-nice moment there is an afternoon spent in the company of people who love each other deeply.
Judd can feel your love and support. His body is responding to the chemo in the exact way the doctors predicted, although he hasn't yet started to lose his hair. Judd and his entourage's way of dealing with this mystery is as always with humor. A betting pool has been started, with a five dollar buy-in, for the day his mohawk "is no longer sustainable." If Judd defies the odds and doesn't lose his hair he gets all of the money! How's that for making lemonade?

With Love, erin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home