Wednesday, July 19, 2006

my thanks

A moment’s rest, a hearty (pun intended) meal, a beautiful sun ascending over the Wasatch Mountains. I’ve been in and out of sleep most of the night. The nurses are ordered to poke and prod me regularly to check my vitals and be sure that my system is handling the chemotherapy well (no sudden, drastic turns for the worse.) I pretend they’re playing a game just outside my door, seeing how close they can bring me to the point of sleep before coming in for another pee sample. Resistance, I’ve been warned, is futile.

My heart is so full of gratitude this morning, gratitude at being rested and strong enough to be able to send a message back in response to the hundreds of messages that have flooded my inbox, as well as Frankie’s, Adam’s and Michelle’s, not to mention my family’s home mailboxes. In the initial response to my condition, there was very, very little time for discussion, input or even much choice in the matter of how to proceed. Action needed to be taken immediately, so the choice was made to begin chemotherapy literally within minutes of hearing the diagnosis. Medications and more tests were decided on, and I lay back in bed to await the first round and, well, stare blankly at the wall. One nurse (Gigi – she says my chakras are well aligned) lingered by my bed long enough to share with me two points. “These machines will work towards a cure for you,” she said. “We’ll all be working towards a cure for as long as it takes. But what these machines can’t do is heal you. That’s your job. That requires your own will, but also marinating yourself in love. So I need to ask a request. Marinate me. Keep it coming. I haven’t had time to respond individually, and as my strength becomes less and less each day with chemo, I don’t know that I will. But know that there is no black hole where most correspondence of this sort seems to disappear to. I’ve gotten each and every note, and they’ve constantly kept me focused on the positive: waking up and greeting the day and eating huge meals (my body’s fighting harder than it ever has, and my weight seems to be dropping rapidly as a result), puttering about and crying with the sunsets and enjoying Tuscan dinners on the facility’s patio with friends, filling my room with your energy and pictures (my room has become the defacto hang-out for nurses and doctors. They’re fascinated by all of you, so you know.)

There continues to be much good news to report each day. Yes, it’s accompanied by fear and anxiety; the two worlds seem to cohabitate my space well together these days. Chemo is a miraculous, devastating ordeal. But here I am in the middle of it, and I’m smiling. So thanks.

8 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh judd--love you dearly.
and i miss your beautiful face and mohawk.
so, so so glad i was able to spend time with you and help make your room a zen retreat (as far as hotel huntsman goes).
give flo a wassup from me. i hope she's been less of a demanding wretch.
xoxox~a

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judd...
You are deep in my most joyous thoughts daily...I took your sound advice that funny climbing day in the caribbean - you said that before one embarks on quest of the spirit they must go where they feel strongest and tone the spiny edge of their core...I took that advice and it is carrying me safe and far. So I send it back in praise, calmed to hear that in a time of spiritual trial you are in a bosom of strength from friends and family. I am sure that you will left with a core of the richest clay, that you will sculpt, and continue to offer the world your divine creations. Keep rockin on witchyo' bad self and I look forward to more news of your quick recovery.
LOVE Emilie Whelan

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judd
Checking the blog every day, and trusting you know how much I love and admire you, sending much badass New York energy and strength...xo

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its been years since we spoke. We both relocated to different coasts and environments. Our families have long been tied through friendship and love. I have an abiding love and affection for all things "Hardy". Though our lives are spent in separate realms- I feel a keen since of spirit and connectness to you and your family. There is not a more bitter sweet separation than the one I feel with your father. You are constantly on our minds. I am so pleased to feel your presence and strength. May you know of our families continue love, prayers and well wishes.

Karl

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judd,
So happy to hear you are fighting and finding beauty during the struggle. I sit at my desk and listen to you play, some well known tunes and some of your own music. I sense your beauty and strength through these compositions. The compliation we recorded for your dad all those years ago, is one of my greatest possessions...I listen to it (as well as Sheldon's music) when I need to relax or feel good or am sad and need some comfort. Thank you. All these years, you have been there for me. Know I have always kept you and your family in my thoughts and heart. Love you.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Judd,

I wish you strength and courage, and humor, and to keep that good appetite up! Know that these Florida folks are thinking of you and praying for you, and sending you good kharma. Our love to you and your wonderful mom and dad.
Stay strong kiddo.

Sally and Scott Hewit

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Judd...It was so great to be with you last week, to see you in such good spirits and to observe your chemo team (friends, family & physicians). Very impressive! My thoughts and prayers continue with you and the family. You remember, I'm sure, that it was just three years ago today when we were all at Mimi's bedside, struggling as she slipped away, yet filled with her love. Her light & love have continued to bless us all, and I know will help you through this ordeal. Love always, Aunt Nancy

 
At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

judd you are daily in my thoughts. i know i hadn't written yet but i am preparing some 'marination' for you. sending off the first batch tommorrow. wonderful to hear your message and along with all the love you're getting from all over the world, i'm sending you energy from oregon tonight.
its so good to hear good news amongst the shock of this. i'm so glad to know you are good hands. and when i stop by southern utah in a week and a half on my drive across the country i'll look north and send you a smile. i have another friend who has this same type of lukemia, it's nice to know a little about it already. he just had his 3rd birthday. so if nothing else, maybe it can be nice to not have diaper rash...
anyway its wonderful to read the blog. you look super sexy with a mohawk.
lots and lots of love and music... and more love.

singing a song for you tonight,
gelsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home